Backroad Mapbooks - Alberta GPS Maps
On microSD card with SD adapter
Garmin GPS™, Basecamp™, MapSource™ and RoadTrip™ compatible
**Also available on DVD! Please read the info about the DVD below before purchasing**
ISBN #: 978-1-926806-76-1
Dimensions: Micro SD card
Map Scale: 1:20,000 scale TOPO Maps
Regional Cities/Parks: Southern Alberta, Central Alberta, Northern Alberta, & Canadian Rockies Regions
Home to two of the world’s greatest national parks, Banff and Jasper, Alberta attracts visitors year-round with its abundance of outdoor recreation opportunities. Alberta boasts a diverse topographical range, from the prairies in the south near Calgary; to the stunning, forested Rocky Mountains in the southwest, where Banff and Jasper gleam like a storybook landscape; to sand dunes around Fort McMurray; and the boreal forest that ripples across the north. Best known for the thriving urban centres of Calgary and Edmonton, Alberta offers attractions both manmade and natural, including Drumheller, aka dinosaur capital of the world, opportunities for skiing, hiking and camping amidst breathtaking settings, and thriving populations of wildlife like bison, bears, cougars, moose and deer. Backroad Mapbooks is proud to chart the expanse of Alberta with detailed topographical maps.
These Garmin-licensed (compatible with Garmin GPS and Garmin Basecamp) Alberta GPS maps provide stunning detail of Alberta’s topography, its road systems and road networks, trails, fishing lakes, and recreation hot spots from Calgary to Edmonton, Banff to Fort McMurray, and beyond. Load the Alberta GPS maps onto your computer or GPS device and discover the range of adventures that exist across the province. These maps bring all the detail from the original Backroad Mapbooks to life with shaded relief, 3D views, and clearly highlighted information to guide your outdoor adventures, including labeled campsites, activity and geographic points-of-interest, Wildlife Management Units, directions to those hot spots, and more. The most detailed and comprehensive GPS maps of Alberta available on the market, Backroad Mapbooks’ Alberta GPS Maps allow you to navigate the lands from Calgary to Edmonton, Banff, Fort McMurray, Grande Prairie, and the backcountry beyond, with the utmost confidence.
AB Backcountry GPS Map Features
- Garmin GPS™, Basecamp™, MapSource™ and RoadTrip™ compatible
- 1:20,000 / 1:50,000 base scale topographic maps
- Detailed shaded relief for all areas of Alberta
- 3D perspective on select Garmin GPS units and Basecamp™
- The most complete Resource, Industry and Logging road coverage available for AB
- Routable City, Resource and Industry Roads
- Tens of thousands of kilometers of trail systems, including defined ATV, Paddling, Snowmobile, Long distance & multi-use trails
- Smart background & Searchable Wildlife Management Units (WMU) for hunters
- National, Provincial and Private Parks & Campsites
- Lake & Stream Fishing information with boat launches
- Searchable Backroad recreation information for fishing, paddling, parks, trails and more
- Boat launches, campsites, paddling access points, ski areas and more
- Find that worksite with Searchable Oil and Gas LSD Grid Locations, Compressor Stations, Gas Plants, Wellsites and other Resource Facilities
- Tens of thousands of Searchable cities, Geographic Land and Water features
- and much more!
Note: All standard Garmin GPS map features such as: seamless topographic maps; ‘Find’ tool to locate nearby city; water or recreation features; 50,000 scale geographic points; and city navigation are part of the Backroad AB GPS Maps package.
Unique to the Backroad GPS Maps are our enhanced road classifications that help you distinguish the highways from the logging roads and the main roads from the side roads. This extra level of road classification helps you to know which roads can be driven in a car and which ones should be left to a four-wheel drive vehicle or ATV. In addition, we offer more recreational points and symbols than any other map source. From RV accessible to backcountry campsites, hiking to snowmobiling trailheads, fishing to paddling access points, we have your adventure covered. Our area classifications include mines and gravel pits, conservation and restricted areas, and a host of other features that help you to see where you can play.
More Roads and Trails
No other GPS map source has as many roads or trails as the Backroad GPS Maps, and we have the statistics to prove it. In addition, you will find we offer better road classifications to help you distinguish main industrial or logging roads from those rarely travelled side or unclassified roads. Further, we separate trails into multi-use for hikers, bikers, horseback riders, cross-country skiers and more, as well as ATV/motorized trails and snowmobile trails. This information is continually updated, expanded and refined, so be sure to take advantage of our update program.
Alberta Road and Trail Highlights:
- Close to 320,000 kilometres of Routable Roads including city roads, rural roads, and 3 levels of Logging Roads (Industrial, Resource and Winter Access Roads)
- Close to 30,000 kilometres of non-routable roads including Old Logging Roads, Unclassified Roads, Alleyways, Leased and Private Roads and more
- Over 10,000 kilometres of Multi-use Trails for hikers, mountain bikers, horseback riders, cross-country skiers and more
- Over 4,500 kilometres of ATV/Motorized Trails
- Over 13,500 kilometres of Paddling Routes
- Over 1,000 kilometres of the Trans Canada Trail’s Land and Water routes
- Close to 3,500 kilometres of Snowmobile Trails
Points of Interest (POI)
Unique to the Backroad AB GPS Maps are our Custom or Backroad POI sets. Within AB we have over 4 million searchable points including Oil and Gas LSD Grid locations, Compressor Stations, Gas Plants, Wellsites, other Resource Facilities and Backroad POI sets. Customers can search for LSD Grid information by selecting Where To/Find > Cities and then by entering the full LSD Grid references (ex: 6-14-36-20-W4). Backroad POIs can be searched by selecting the Where To/Find > Extras and then Go! option, or read what each site offers through the More option. This added feature to our GPS Maps gives you the descriptions or write-ups of most recreation sites that have been geo-referenced from the popular Backroad Mapbook guidebook series.
Alberta Custom POI Highlights:
- 4 million searchable Oil and Gas LSD Grid locations
- Over 5,000 Compressor Stations
- Close to 700 Gas Plants
- Over 30,000 Resource Facilities
- Over 43,000 Wellsites
- Close to 200 AB Wildlife Management Units (WMU) for hunters
- Fishing Lakes and Rivers with over 1,300 locations with descriptions and fish species
- Over 250 Boat Launch locations
- Close to 1,175 Trails with front country and backcountry locations and descriptions
- ATV Trails with over 225 trailhead locations and descriptions
- Snowmobile Trails with over 150 trailhead locations and descriptions
- Parks with over 1,700 National, Provincial and Regional Park locations and descriptions
- Recreation Areas with 1,195 locations and descriptions
- Close to 350 Backcountry campsites
- Over 500 Campground and Picnic locations
- Paddling with 725 paddling route access points descriptions and portage locations
- Wildlife Viewing with over 180 locations and descriptions
- Over 200 Winter Recreation Sites and Downhill Ski Areas
- Over 2,200 City, Town and Community locations
- Over 16,000 searchable land and water geographic features
Backroad Extras are where you find all the POI information specific to our Backroad GPS Maps.
- Access Locations
- Backroad Attractions
- ATV-OHV Trails
- Backcountry Camps
- Boat Launches
- Compressor Stations (found under city search)
- Fishing Lakes, Rivers, Streams
- Gas Plants (found under city search)
- Golf Courses
- Hunting Areas
- Land Features
- Oil and Gas LSD Grid Locations (found under city search)
- Paddling Routes
- Parks – Provincial – National - Urban
- Picnic Areas
- Portage Locations
- Public Services
- Recreation Areas
- Resource Facilities
- Rivers and Creeks
- Ski Areas
- Snowmobile Routes
- Transportation Services
- Visitor Centres
- Water Features
- Wellsites (found under city search)
- Wildlife Viewing
Do I need/want the microSD or DVD version?
Do you have a SD/micro SD card slot on your Garmin GPS unit?
If yes, then you can buy the SD/micro SD card version. This version allows you to load the maps directly to your Garmin GPS unit.
If no, then order the DVD version. As long as your Garmin GPS unit supports mapping you can work on a PC and transfer the maps from MapSource or similar program directly to the GPS unit.
Can I use the microSD card on my computer in MapSource or Basecamp?
Yes. But you will have to register your product with Backroad Mapbooks first. Once your product is registered they will provide a free "MapSource Download".
Are you planning on switching the maps between Garmin GPS units?
If yes, then you should buy the SD/micro SD card version. This version allows you to port the maps from one GPS unit to another (as long as it is a Garmin GPS that holds an SD or micro SD card).
Do you want to put the maps on your own SD card?
If yes, then you will need to order the DVD version. This version allows you to load the maps with other maps onto your own SD card. If you have more than one GPS unit, then you will need to buy separate unlock codes since you cannot port your own SD card from unit to unit with the maps on them. The DVD's are now both MAC and Windows compatible!
This product cannot be returned to GPS Central. Instead please call 1-877-520-5670 or contact them at their website www.backroadmapbooks.com. You can read their return policy here.
Click here for list of
compatible Garmin devices
Also available for the following areas:
Alberta & BC
Western Canada - covers AB, BC, SK & MB
Prairies - covers AB, SK & MB
Newfoundland & Labrador
Atlantic Canada - covers NS, NB, NL & PEI
Select titles now are also available in paperback!
The Kootenay Rockies BC
Cottage Country Ontario