Backroad GPS Maps for Alberta
On microSD card with SD adapter!
Garmin GPS, BaseCamp and MapSource compatible
**Also available on DVD! Please read the info about the DVD below before purchasing**
The Alberta Backroad GPS Maps now combine the power of our industry-leading road and recreation maps with newly added Oil and Gas Resource Data, placing the most comprehensive and powerful GPS source in the palm of our customers’ hands. No other source offers as up-to-date backroad, trail and recreation information for all of Alberta like we do. The Backroad Alberta GPS Maps enhance the 1:50,000 Alberta SRD Resource Maps and also have the added value of detailed city and highway information, including street addresses and searchable township section numbers or grids, to provide a safe and reliable product that will truly get you from your home to the Great Outdoors. In addition to easy access to the patented Backroad Mapbook Points of Interest and recreation descriptions, you can even use the Alberta GPS Maps in Garmin's MapSource®, Basecamp™ and RoadTrip™.
Alberta GPS Map Specific Features:
- Garmin GPS, BaseCamp™, MapSource® and RoadTrip™ compatible
- 50,000 base scale topographic maps
- Detailed shaded relief for all of Alberta
- 3D perspective on select Garmin GPS units and BaseCamp™
- The most complete Resource, Industry and logging road coverage available for Alberta
- Routable Forest and Industry Roads
- Thousands of kilometers of trail systems, including defined ATV, Snowmobile & multi-use trails
- Alberta Paddling Routes with access points and portages
- Smart background and searchable Wildlife Management Units for anglers and hunters
- Searchable Alberta Township Sections
- Searchable street addresses
- Geo-referenced city and backcountry recreation Points of Interest including campsites, fishing hot spots, trail locations, backroad attractions and more
- Backroad Mapbook recreation information listings within the Whereto function
- Tens of thousands of searchable cities, geographic land and water features
- Improved contour and elevation information including: summits, peaks and geographic points
- Updated city & rural streets
- Seamless topographic maps
- And much, much more
Note that all the standard Garmin GPS map features like seamless topographic maps, the find tool to locate nearby city, water or recreation features, 50,000 scale geographic points and city navigation are all part of the Backroad AB GPS Maps package.
Unique to the Backroad GPS Maps are our enhanced road classifications that help you determine the highways from the logging roads and the main roads from the side roads. This extra level of road classification helps readers know which roads can be driven in a car or which ones should be left to a 4wd vehicle or ATV. In addition, we offer more recreational points and symbols than any other map source. From RV accessible to backcountry campsites, hiking to snowmobiling trailheads, fishing to paddling access points, we have your Adventure covered. Not to be over shadowed, our area classifications include things like mines or gravel pits, conservation and restricted areas and a host of other features that help the reader see where they can play.
More Roads and Trails
No other GPS map source has as many roads or trails as the Backroad GPS Maps and we have the statistics to prove it. In addition, you will find we offer better road classifications to help you determine Main Industrial or Logging Roads from those rarely travelled side or Unclassified Road. Further, we separate trails into Multi-Use for hikers, bikers, horseback riders, cross-country skiers and more as well as ATV/Motorized Trails and Snowmobile Trails. This information is continually being updated, added to and refined so be sure to take advantage of their Update Program.
Alberta Road and Trail Highlights:
- Close to 300,000 kilometres of routable roads including highways, city roads, rural roads, and 3 levels of Logging Roads (Industrial, Resource and Winter Access Roads)
- Over 34,000 kilometres of non-routable roads including Old Logging Roads, Unclassified Roads, Alleyways, Leased and Private Roads, and more
- Close to 12,000 kilometres of Multi-use Trails for hikers, mountain bikers, horseback riders, cross-country skiers and more
- Over 4,000 kilometres of ATV/Motorized Trails
- Close to 17, 000 kilometres of bush trails and cutlines
- Over 10, 000 kilometres of Paddling Routes
- Over 1, 000 kilometres of the Trans Canada Trail’s Land and Water routes
- Over 3, 000 kilometres of Snowmobile Trails
Points of Interest (POI)
Unique to the Backroad Alberta GPS Maps are our Custom or Backroad POI sets. Within Alberta we have over 775,000 searchable points including Alberta Township Quarter sections, Gas Plants, Compressor Stations and Resource Facilities, and Backroad POI sets. You can use these to help you navigate by selecting the ‘Whereto’ and then ‘Go!’ option, or read what each site offers through the ‘More’ option. This added feature of our GPS Maps gives you the descriptions or write-ups of most recreation sites that have been geo-referenced from the popular Backroad Mapbooks guidebook series.
Alberta Custom POI Highlights:
- Searchable Alberta Quarter Section Township Grid locations
- Over 5,000 Alberta Oilfield Compressor locations
- Over 600 Alberta Oilfield Gas Plant locations
- Over 30,000 Alberta Oilfield Resource Facility locations, including well and compressor sites, and much more
- Fishing Lakes and Rivers with over 1,200 locations with descriptions and 8,000 searchable lakes
- Over 245 Boat Launch locations
- Alberta Trails with over 1,500 front country and backcountry locations and descriptions
- Alberta ATV Trails with over 170 trailhead locations and descriptions
- Alberta Snowmobile Trails with over 150 trailhead locations and descriptions
- Alberta Parks with over 500 National, Provincial and Regional Park locations and descriptions
- Alberta Recreation Areas with over 215 locations and descriptions
- Over 350 Backcountry campsites
- Over 300 Campground and Picnic locations
- Alberta Paddling with over 700 paddling route access points descriptions and portage locations
- Alberta Wildlife Viewing with over 165 locations and descriptions
- Winter Recreation Sites including over 65 Cross-Country Ski trail locations and most Downhill Ski Areas
- Alberta Wildlife Management Unit Areas for hunters
- Alberta Fish Management Areas for anglers
- Over 1, 800 City, Town and Community locations
- Over 27, 000 searchable land and water geographic features
Do I need/want the microSD or DVD version?
Do you have a SD/micro SD card slot on your Garmin GPS unit?
If yes, then you can buy the SD/micro SD card version. This version allows you to load the maps directly to your Garmin GPS unit.
If no, then order the DVD version. As long as your Garmin GPS unit supports mapping you can work on a PC and transfer the maps from MapSource or similar program directly to the GPS unit.
Can I use the microSD card on my computer in MapSource or Basecamp?
Yes. But you will have to register your product with Backroad Mapbooks first. Once your product is registered they will provide a free "MapSource Download".
Are you planning on switching the maps between Garmin GPS units?
If yes, then you should buy the SD/micro SD card version. This version allows you to port the maps from one GPS unit to another (as long as it is a Garmin GPS that holds an SD or micro SD card).
Do you want to put the maps on your own SD card?
If yes, then you will need to order the DVD version. This version allows you to load the maps with other maps onto your own SD card. If you have more than one GPS unit, then you will need to buy separate unlock codes since you cannot port your own SD card from unit to unit with the maps on them. The DVD's are now both MAC and Windows compatible!
This product cannot be returned to GPS Central. Instead please call 1-877-520-5670 or contact them at their website www.backroadmapbooks.com. You can read their return policy here.
Click here for list of
compatible Garmin devices
Also available for these provinces:
Alberta & BC
Prairies - AB, SK & MB
Atlantic Canada - covers NS, NB, NL & PEI
Select titles now are also available in paperback!
The Kootenay Rockies BC
Screenshots on GPS unit
Routable Logging and Backroads
Hiking, ATV and Snowmobile Trails