The DX Engineering XB-5 Hexx Beam is a lightweight directional five-band HF antenna for the 20, 17, 15, 12 and 10 Meter bands that is ideal for permanent or temporary installations.
What are the benefits of this oddly shaped HF beam antenna?
There are many, such as its small, 11 ft. turning radius, its symmetry and natural balance in the wind, and its full legal-limit power handling on all bands. But, the XB-5 Hexx Beam’s most important benefits are that it can receive signals very well and it transmits RF very efficiently. Its special configuration of full-size wire elements reject noise, so more signals are heard. Many months of development have culminated in this advanced, heavy-duty antenna design that features easier assembly, improved SWR and better bandwidth while maintaining excellent front-to-back performance. The DX Engineering XB-5 is our best Hexx Beam to date.
DXE-XB-5 is the complete HF antenna package of specialized DX Engineering XB-5 Hexx Beam components; some are new and some are pre-assembled. These essential components include the patented* Hexx Hub and the Stainless Steel and PTFE Rigid Flat Feeder which is fully balanced with the Maxi-Core® 20 1:1 Current Balun and Mount. Also included are the all-new 970-lb. heavy-duty “ice-load capable” Spreader Support Ropes terminated with thimbles, stainless steel carabiners, better fiberglass Center Post and Spreaders, the Heavy-Duty Mast Mount, newly configured Element Wire Kits with the unique DX Engineering Wire Guides and innovative Element Spacer Insulators.
DX Engineering XB-5 Hexx Beam design has a number of important advantages over other Hex Beams or a mini-Yagi:
- Easier and faster assembly – fewer parts to speed completion of the antenna project
- Pre-made 4.4 mm heavy duty “ice” support ropes with thimbles and stainless steel carabiners
- Balun (1:1; 5kW PEP) and Mounting Bracket included
- New Heavy-duty Mast Plate with DXE Saddle Clamps for 1.25 to 2 in. (30-50 mm) masts
- Stronger fiberglass without slits
- Pre-sized and pre-drilled element spacer insulators designed for simplified antenna assembly and tuning adjustment
- Improved SWR band coverage
- Small turning radius – the XB-5 Hexx Beam has a turning radius of only 11 feet (3.35M)
- Gain – 5 dBi (3 dBd), depending on band – similar to 2 element Yagi, far exceeding the performance of multi-band mini-beams
- Front-to-Back – greater than 20 dB, depending on band
- Wind balanced – Hexx symmetry reduces torque on the rotator
- Light weight – about 25 lbs. (11.3 kg) fully assembled
- Wind load – only 5 square feet (0.46 sq. M) wind surface area
- Can be turned with a light duty rotator
- Performs well at low heights – good results at 25 to 35 feet (8 to 11M) above ground
- Handles full legal limit power – no power restriction as on competing antennas
- Low Noise results – approaches performance of closed loop antennas
- Full length HF antenna elements – no lossy coils or traps
- Five-Band Stainless Steel/PTFE Rigid Feeder System – balanced for best pattern
- Requires no matching network – direct single 50 ohm coax feed
- US Patent No. 8,669,911, US Patent No. D 624,060, British Patent No. GB248003 B