July 21, 2021: Features Updates available via Wi-Fi or Gamin Express
• HIGHLY VISIBLE MAPS – New clean, high contrast maps that make bike-friendly road, gravel or mountain routes more visible in all light conditions.
• START YOUR RIDE FASTER – Faster route calculation speeds, allowing cyclists to start riding more quickly. Now, after a route has been calculated once, it’s cached so cyclists can get started in seconds
• GET THE LATEST MAPS – A Trendline™ popularity heatmap based on billions of miles of uploaded ride data now layered directly onto the map and adjusts automatically based on ride type so cyclists can instantly see the most relevant places to ride.
Performance GPS Cycling Computer with Mapping and Touchscreen
- Dynamic performance monitoring provides insights on your VO2 max, recovery, training load focus, heat and altitude acclimation, nutrition, hydration and more¹
- Cycling safety features² include new bike alarm, group messaging and tracking, incident detection and compatibility with Varia™ rearview radar and lights so you can see and be seen
- Includes routable Garmin Cycle Map with popularity routing — which helps you ride like a local — plus on-device route creation, off-course recalculation and back to start; mountain biking model has integrated Trailforks data, including trail difficulty ratings
- Customize with free apps, widgets and data fields from the Connect IQ™ Store
- MTB dynamics track jump count, jump distance and hang time as well as Grit, a measure of the ride’s difficulty, and Flow, which tracks the smoothness of your descent so you have a score to beat next time
- Battery life: up to 20 hours with GPS; extendable up to 40 hours with the Garmin Charge™ power pack or in battery save mode
Who cares that the Edge 830 touchscreen cycling computer offers dynamic performance monitoring and insights to help you improve? You do. So, whether you’re a podium finisher, Kona qualifier, gravel grinder, straight-shaven, urban pedaler, dirt ball or somewhere in between, Edge 830 is ready to roll as your new riding partner.
Take Your Training to the Next Level
Edge 830 goes beyond data collection — providing dynamic performance insights that can help you beat your best. See how your body is holding up in different environments with heat and altitude acclimation¹. Get in-ride notifications when it’s time to hydrate or eat. See if your most recent training was balanced in terms of endurance, threshold and high-intensity efforts. When paired with compatible Garmin sensors, Edge 830 even calculates power curve, a new power tracking metric that compares your ride effort to your previous weeks and months. No matter where you train, you can sync structured workouts from TrainingPeaks® and our online fitness community, Garmin Connect™, right to your Edge. You can also view your upcoming training for the week and launch into the relevant workout seamlessly when required.
Ride with Confidence
Whether you’re training with riding buddies or commuting to work, your Edge 830 device takes safety seriously. It allows for group messaging and tracking, so you can stay in touch when you get separated from the pack². It also has incident detection, which automatically sends your location to emergency contacts if it detects an incident. For even more awareness, pair Edge 830 with our Varia rearview radar and lights so you can see and be seen. And the new PIN-protected bike alarm will notify you on your smartphone if your bike is moved while you’re inside getting water or making a pit stop.
Navigate Every Turn
Edge 830 is preloaded with the Garmin Cycle Map, including turn-by-turn directions and navigation alerts that notify you of upcoming turns. Use the bright, responsive touchscreen to create new rides and courses right on the Edge device. To help you ride like a local, popularity routing chooses from the roads and trails most traveled by fellow cyclists. And Edge 830 is smart enough to guide you back to the route — or back to start — if you deviate from it or decide to head home early. And with route calculation speeds 2 times faster than previous models, you’ll spend more time riding, not waiting around.
Tame the Trails
When you need a change of scenery, Edge 830 is your go-to guide for mountain biking. Start by downloading the free Trailforks app from our Connect IQ Store and then unlocking the Trailforks data on your Edge. Featuring trails from more than 80 countries, Trailforks includes the best, most up-to-date information, including trail conditions, heatmaps and more. And when you stop mid-ride, the new Forksight mode automatically displays upcoming forks in the trail, and gives you context by showing where you are within a trail network. During the ride, Edge 830 tracks the epic details with new mountain biking metrics such as jump count, jump distance and hang time. Other mountain biking features include Grit, which rates the difficulty of a ride using GPS, elevation and accelerometer data, and Flow, which measures how smoothly you descend a trail so you have a score to beat next time.
Climb Like a Pro
Climbing can become your secret weapon with Edge 830 and the new ClimbPro feature. It automatically shows the remaining ascent and grade when you’re climbing while following a route or course. This shows you how much you have left to suffer, helping you gauge your effort over the remainder of your ride.
SHIMANO STEPS eBike System
Pair a compatible Edge cycling computer with a supported SHIMANO STEPS eBike system, and receive a dedicated eBike status screen, data fields and support for system status and warning messages. In addition to Edge metrics — such as time, distance and speed — you can also view your assist level, gear position, battery life and remaining range during a ride.
Customize Your Device
Only Garmin lets you customize your device with free apps, widgets and data fields from the Connect IQ Store. Apps such as the AccuWeather MinuteCast let you know when the rain will stop so you can determine the ideal time slot for your ride. And if you plan your rides on sites such as Strava, Komoot or Wikiloc, download those apps so you can have your favorite routes imported directly to your Edge. Or if you’re looking for a nearby café or bike shop, use the Yelp app to download their locations, and route directly to them on your Edge device.
¹When paired with compatible sensors
²When paired with a compatible smartphone; see safety and tracking features requirements and limitations
TrainingPeaks® is registered trademarks of Peaksware, LLC.