DeLorme Earthmate PN-60w with SPOT Communicator
The World's First Handheld GPS with SPOT.
Handheld GPS Meets Satellite Communications.
Discontinued. Replaced by PN-60W and inReach >>
Winner of National Geographic's Gear of the Year 2010 Award , Popular Mechanics' 2010 Breakthrough Awards , 2011 CES Innovations Design and Engineering Award and Backpacker Magazine's Editor's Choice 2011 Award!
Full North America Topo included! Enjoy peace of mind wherever you go, worldwide, even when cell phone service is unavailable. Send custom text messages to family and friends. Allow others to track your progress on social network sites like Twitter, Facebook, and SPOTadventures.com. Let family and friends know you’re safe when your adventures take you to challenging locations.
PN-60w product summary
- Intuitive icon-based user interface for easy on-device navigation
- Elevation profile cutaway views that pinpoint the user’s position
- GPX file exchange (waypoints, routes, tracks, and geocaches) to SD card for ease and flexibility in archiving collected GPS data
- 3.5 GB of user-available Flash memory
- Latest DeLorme power management system with ambient light sensor for optimal battery life
Powerful GPS Performance Features
- High-sensitivity 32-channel STMicroelectronics Cartesio chipset and DeLorme ConstantLock™ for quick satellite acquisition and reliable signal retention
- DeLorme predictive GPS calculates satellite positions for near instantaneous acquisition
- Dual-core processor for blazing-fast performance
- 3-axis electronic compass performs with the PN-60 held in any position
- Sensitive barometric altimeter for highly-accurate reliable altitude readings
- 65K bright-color TFT screen for clarity in any light conditions
- On-device road routing
- SDHC support up to 32 GB
- Support for paperless geocaching
- WAAS-enabled accuracy (to within 3 meters)
- Holds 1,000 user-defined waypoints (including geocaches), 50 routes, and 10 tracks; GPX support for sending unlimited numbers of each to SD cards
SPOT Communicator Technology
The Earthmate PN-60w enables creation of custom text messages for easy transmission by the SPOT Communicator, which was developed to work exclusively with the PN-60w. SPOT is a leader in leader in personal satellite messaging communications.
The SPOT Communicator offers a fully-integrated custom user interface designed by SPOT. Users can easily manage their profile online, including custom maps and message history. Information can be kept private or shared using custom tools like SPOT Shared Pages and SPOTadventures.com.
Communicate with family and friends from locations worldwide. Cell phone coverage can be unreliable, but the SPOT Communicator distributes your message dependably via satellite. And, in case of emergency, you can send SOS messages with your GPS position embedded.
Whatever your preferred activity, you’ll never have to settle for just one map. Find your position on up-to-date DeLorme Topo North America (included). Navigate worry-free with complete U.S. and Canada topographic detail, extensive trail coverage, U.S. and Canada streets, roads, and places of interest including campgrounds, boat launch sites, unique natural features, prime hunting and fishing spots. Also includes MapPack including all of the 1:50k Canadian Topo maps!
The PN-60w comes with up-to-date DeLorme Topo North America map detail included, both on PN-Series Map DVDs (Mac-compatible) for transfer to the GPS, and in a PC desktop software program.
For more variety and detail, a low cost subscription to the unique DeLorme Map Library ("MapPack") entitles you to unlimited amounts of high-resolution U.S. color aerial imagery, USGS 1:24,000 topo quads, 1:50,000 Canada topos, and NOAA nautical charts. For additional color aerial imagery of the U.S. and the world, Digital Globe data – the same imagery used by Google Maps and major news organizations – is available via premium subscription and a la carte purchase. You can also get a la carte downloads from the DeLorme World Base Map, offering consistent global detail including topography, land cover, place names, major roads, and more.
The PN-60w supports all popular outdoor activities. Features include a highly-accurate 3-axis electronic compass that works when held in any position, moving on foot or standing still. For traveling in elevation, there is an elevation profile tool that pinpoints your location and a sensitive barometric altimeter for precise elevation readings and the ability to gauge potential weather changes. These elevation features are particularly useful for hikers, climbers, and hunters. The ability to display NOAA nautical charts make the PN-60w a valuable navigator for sea kayaking and coastal sailing.
The PN-60w fully supports paperless geocaching, and offers almanac pages with information on tides, hunting and fishing favorability, and sunrise/sunset and moon phases.
DeLorme has devoted significant resources toward offering a rewarding geocaching experience. In addition to the unique value of available aerial imagery, the PN-60w delivers a wide range of paperless geocaching capabilities.
Individual caches can be downloaded, with all information included, from Geocaching.com. The PN-60w and Topo USA also support imports of high volume Pocket Queries from Geocaching.com, and they allow virtually unlimited cache description character counts, so you’ll have all the information you need on the device, including other cachers’ log notes.
The optional DeLorme Cache Register download delivers enhanced paperless geocaching functions. Sync your Pocket Query search results directly to the PN-60w, and sync your user logs and other cache details to Geocaching.com.
Customize the PN-60w to meet your needs
You can customize the PN-60w’s Information Page for your trip so that everything you want to know is all on one screen – time or distance to next turn or finish (if navigating on a route), distance traveled (odometer), trip time, speed, battery life, GPS accuracy, and much more.
You can also create custom set-ups for quick access to the PN-60w screens and features you want for your favorite activities
Effortless track, waypoint, and route management
A green arrow shows your location on the screen map, and points in your direction of travel. For screen orientation, you can select north up, course up, or heading up. The PN-60w will automatically collect a track as you travel. You can save the collected track, use it to create a route, and (when you’re back home) convert it to a routable road or trail within Topo USA.
Create waypoints with the click of a button, select from a vast menu of symbol options for the appropriate waypoint icon and add descriptive comments.
With the PN-60w’s search capability, you can locate cities and towns, roads, trails, natural features, points of interest including businesses, restaurants, campgrounds, and much more; any search result can be saved as a waypoint.
Create road routes or direct point-to-point routes on the device, or easily import road or trail routes from Topo USA. When navigating on a route, the PN-60 emits audible turn alerts (your choice of numerous sounds – ring, beep, whistle, etc.).
|PN-60w Hardware Specifications
||2.43" W x 5.25" H x 1.5" D
||Sharp high-resolution 2.2" 65K-color Transflective TFT color display (220 x 176 pixels)
||5.35 ounces; with Li-Ion rechargeable battery: 6.7 oz; with alkaline AA batteries: 7.00 oz
||yes (IPX-7 waterproof standard, impact-resistant rubberized housing )
||Super high-sensitivity 32-channel Cartesio chipset by STMicroelectronics for rapid signal acquisition and ConstantLock satellite retention, even in challenging GPS environments
||Sensitive barometric altimeter for reliably accurate altitude readings
||3-axis electronic compass with included accelerometer performs when held in any position – while in motion or standing still
||3.5GB MB available internal Flash memory (500MB user-available)
||Supports SDHC high-capacity SD-cards – up to 32 GB
||2 AA batteries (included)
||Hot Start: 5-6 seconds
||Warm Start: < 45 seconds
||Cold Start: < 60 seconds
||Update rate: 1/second, continuous
||Position: < 15 meters, 95% typical; Velocity: 0.05 meter/sec steady state
||Position: < 3 meters, 95% typical
|Routes & tracks:
||Holds up to 10 tracks (10,000 points per track), 1,000 user-defined waypoints, and 50 routes; endlessly expandable via GPX transfer to SD cards
System Requirements for Delorme Topo North America 9.0
• Microsoft Window 7 (all versions) with 1GB of RAM (2+ GB recommended)
• Windows Vista® (all versions) with 512 MB RAM (1+ GB recommended)
• Windows XP (Service Pack 2 or later) with 512 MB RAM (1+ GB recommended)
• Microsoft® Internet Explorer 7.0 or later
• 1.5 GHz or higher processor, Pentium 4, Athlon 64 or later
• 2 GB of available hard-disk space (8 GB if all map data for North America is loaded to hard drive)
• DVD-ROM Drive
• 1024 x 768 screen resolution or higher
For GPS Use
• Compatible with any DeLorme Earthmate GPS receiver
• Compatible with Intel-based Macintosh computers running Boot Camp® for Windows XP/Vista/7
• Earthmate PN-60w GPS
• SPOT Satellite Communicator, specially designed to work with tandem with the PN-60w
• Topo North America 9.0
• MapPack including all of the 1:50k Canadian Topo maps
• 5 regional discs of pre-cut PN-series maps
• User manual
• Quick start guide
• 2 Energizer e2 lithium AA batteries
• USB data-transfer for PC-GPS data exchanges
• Certificate for $40.00 worth or aerial imagery of other supplementary data downloads
• Two sturdy lanyards; black & orange
View the DeLorme and SPOT Instructional Video!